Easy ISI is a series of six mini-courses, which will be offered on the mornings of May 3 and 4 inside the virtual platform of the 6th ISI. They are classes with basic concepts of biotechnology, which can both stimulate students to become interested in the area and update professionals already working in the field. Enrollment in the courses is exclusive to those registered for the 6th ISI and classes will have limited vacancies. Each participant can attend only one mini-course.
There will be no simultaneous translation for the courses, 5 of them will be presented in Portuguese and one in English.
Instructors: Marilda Siqueira and Fernando Couto Motta, Fiocruz / IOC
Limit of vacancies: 30 participants
Presentation of classical and new generation methods used in genomic surveillance of pathogens of public health interest using the model of two pandemic viruses: SARS-CoV-2 and influenza. The data used are those available on the Fiocruz Genomics Network website and analyzed by the National Reference Laboratory for influenza and the Reference Laboratory of the Americas for SARS-CoV-2.
– Introduction to genome sequencing;
– migration between classical (Sanger) and NGS methods, and the era of genomes per US$1k;
– Presentation of the main sequencing platforms currently available;
– Analysis and use of whole genome data generated by the new methodologies in genomic surveillance.
Remote exposure of the content divided in two blocks: Introduction and basic concepts + Case studies carried out during the pandemic of COVID-19: Introduction of the Delta lineage and identification of Darwin-like samples from the December21-January22 influenza outbreak in the country.
Closing with open discussion with all course participants.
Instructors: Carlos Gil Moreira Ferreira and Mariano Gustavo Zalis
Limit of vacancies: 30 participants
This will be a course of introduction and basic concepts of molecular diagnosis in oncologic area, with a historical view and examples of applications of these technologies in therapeutic practices.
– Historical overview and basic concepts of molecular diagnosis in oncology
– Impact of molecular diagnostics in therapeutic practices
– Challenges and windows of opportunities for implementation of DM in the therapeutic conduct
Remote presentation of the content divided in two blocks (Introduction and basic concepts + Updates on practical applications) with different presenters, break between the two and time for open debate with the course participants.
Instructors: Eliane Matos dos Santos and Robson Leite de Souza Cruz
Limit of vacancies: 30 registered
Topics of Good Clinical Practices will be addressed, such as informed consent, participant compensation, human challenge studies, adverse event evaluation, communication flow with the research participant, appropriate study design methodology, compensation to participants, non-compliance with GCP and the protocol, data handling and record keeping, responsibilities of the REC/CONEP, principal investigator and Anvisa, use of placebo x approved product
– To inform about the concepts of Good Clinical Practices.
– Conduct case studies of the Covid-19 pandemic scenario.
– Discussion about the Covid-19 pandemic legacies in Good Clinical Practices.
Remote presentation of the content to be taught, with the possibility of group dynamics, in smaller rooms created during the online course, and a visit by the lecturer to the rooms, to act as a discussion facilitator. Method of joint elaboration, dialogued class, and group work with a facilitator.
Instructor: João Viola – INCA, Herbert Guedes – Fiocruz / UFRJ, Vinicius Cotta-de-Almeida – Fiocruz
Limit of vacancies: 30 enrolled
This course will address basic aspects of the biology of the immune response, discussing the different cellular and molecular mechanisms involved in the activation of the immune system. Special emphasis will be given to the immune response against infectious diseases and cancer, and in conditions of immune dysregulation, such as chronic diseases and aging. It is intended that participants will gain an overview of the components of immunity against pathogens and cancer, as well as the application of immunotherapies in the treatment of these pathological processes.
To discuss the basic central aspects of the immune response assembly and the application of immunotherapeutic tools for the treatment of infections and cancer and the conditions of immune dysregulation.
Lecture of the concepts and studies and discussion with students. It will be divided into 4 classes:
1- Cellular and molecular basis of the immune response
2- Immunotherapies in the treatment of infectious diseases
3- Immunotherapies in immune dysregulation conditions
4- Immunotherapies in the treatment of cancer
Meeting ID: 813 8748 0558
Instructor: Frank DeRosa, CTO Translate Bio
Limite de vagas: 30 inscritos
In this seminar, an overview of mRNA concepts, design and manufacturing will be discussed. In addition to this, a review on lipid nanoparticle (LNP) concepts, design and manufacturing will be presented. The session will close with applications of mRNA for vaccines and beyond.
– Overview of mRNA concepts, design and manufacturing
– Rreview on lipid nanoparticle (LNP) concepts, design and manufacturing
– Applications of mRNA for vaccines and beyond
Online presentation followed by na interactive Q&A session
Meeting ID: 860 9432 9612
Instructors: Daniel P. Lacerda, Fabio Sartori Piran, Jayme Peixoto, Leandro Gauss and Lucio Noal, Unisinos
This course will cover basic concepts about what Productivity and Efficiency are, going through the concepts of Lean and Theory of Constraints. To complement and exemplify, the instructors will present the vision of a doer, through the Bruning case and productivity experiences in industry without trial and error, using Data Science and Digital Twin of Productivity Increase.
– Conceptually level productivity and efficiency. Levels of aggregation (Operations, Processes and Systems). Main errors and consequences.
– To present the main concepts of Lean philosophy. Evidence how Lean contributes to the increase of productivity through the rational and lean
of resources. Improvement in the process function and operation function. Intelligent Loss Elimination.
– Present the concepts of the Theory of Constraints. Productivity everywhere or Total Productivity?! Productivity from the focus and management of constraints to do more with the same resources.
– Present a real implementation and the impacts on productivity.
– To present the structuring of data and the construction of simulation models
for decision making. Productivity as a predicted outcome.
Oral presentation of concepts and studies and discussion with students.
Meeting ID: 874 6487 7433
Easy ISI courses are open to all 6th ISI participants, whether they are students or professionals, who would like to get up-to-date on the course subjects.
The instructors of the courses are professionals of recognized technical/scientific ability in their areas of knowledge.
There will not be simultaneous translation for Easy ISI courses, 5 of which will be in Portuguese and one of which will be in English. Participants must be proficient in the chosen course language.
Course registrants will have access to closed areas specific to their chosen course within the 6th ISI virtual application, where they will have access to the course room for live participation and to the supporting materials.